On Halloween night, when the first group of children walked up and saw me sitting quietly on the front porch —they stopped and decided to come no further.
I wasn’t growling, hissing, or howling—but apparently, my calm cattitude was rather unnerving.
“WHAT are you?” asked a brave ninja, as he waved his plastic sword with one hand and clutched his bag of candy tightly in the other. A little princess and a hairy werewolf stood close beside him, for protection.
“I’m just a cat…meow,” I said in a soft, high-pitched voice. “In fact, I think I might be the long lost sister of the ‘Cat in the Hat’. Yes, I think that is true. You’ve heard of him, haven’t you? He travels around with Thing One and Thing Two.”
The ninja frowned thoughtfully and then he replied, “I don’t think the ‘Cat in the Hat’ has a sister. I have never heard of that.”
“Of course not,” I sighed. “No one knows me. I am really quite shy. That’s why, most of the time, I just hide inside. But, tonight—here I am. Now, what should I do? Aren’t you going to say ‘trick or treat,’ so I can give candy to you?”
“Ok. Yes. I forgot. Trick or Treat.” he replied.
The ninja opened his bag and I put in some M&Ms (which instantly met with his approval).
Then the little princess walked forward—“You’re really a cat?”
As I gave her some candy, I said, “ Yes, I am that!”
“Goodbye kitty cat,” the princess did say.
And the werewolf growled “thank you” as they walked away.
Until next year…..meeeoooow.
© Mary Strong-Spaid and Before I Forget/Stories with No Books, 2012-2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Mary Strong-Spaid and Before I Forget/ Stories with No Books with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
NO REBLOGGING WITHOUT PERMISSION.
- Cardinals at the Dog Water Bowl Bird Bath
- Thoughts of a Natural Born Tree-Hugger
- Rising from the Dead in Spring
- Cat Clinging to the Edge of Normal
- Christmas Lion 2020
- Monarch Butterfly Stops in San Antonio Mid-November
- Entomology Summer Camp Hands-On Experience
- Siamese Cat Shelter-in-Place Guidelines
- Covid-19 Life in a Darkening World
- Strong Civil War Connection to Fredericksburg
- The Little Eyes of Texas
- Good Friends and Auld Lang Syne
- Pulte New Home Nightmare
- Labrador Retriever Riding in Style
- Foster Kitten’s Grateful Prayer
- On the Path of Wind and Water
- Christmas Cat on Night Patrol
- Marine Corps Reserve ‘Toys for Tots’ Christmas Magic
- 78,292 hits
Top Posts & Pages