Within light shadows stood
orange colors, specks of white,
mushroom in the woods.
Inedible or edible,
bad or good to eat?
Is this extremely poisonous
or a tasty treat?
I don’t know the answer
and I’d rather not be dead,
so I think I’ll get my mushrooms
from the grocery store instead! ~ms
My mom always bought mushrooms, because she liked to toss a few in when she was making spaghetti. So when I saw little white mushrooms growing out in the yard one day, I picked a few and brought them into the kitchen, thinking she would be happy to have them (since I was only about 6 years old, I didn’t know that some mushrooms are dangerous to eat).
Needless to say, she wasn’t happy to see me with a handful of unidentified yard mushrooms. She yelled in a panicked voice, “Oh my God. Did you eat any of those?”
I said, “No…I just thought that….”
Before I could finish, she interrupted— “These are probably poisonous! Do you want to die a painful death? Only people who know what they are doing can touch mushrooms. Go wash your hands right now and don’t you ever do this again!”
A lot of time has passed since then, but I still remember her stern warning. Last year when I saw this glorious orange/red mushroom growing underneath some pine trees in my backyard, I took a picture instead of pulling it out of the ground. Then, after searching through many photos of mushrooms online, I came to the conclusion that this is a Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria)—a toxic psychoactive ‘magic shroom.’
Whatever the case, don’t worry mom. I didn’t eat this mushroom, my camera did!