A worried blue jay
came to see me yesterday
and loudly proclaimed:
“I am here to issue
a winter weather warning,
so please listen carefully
to everything I say.
Don’t be fooled by this warm sun,
for tomorrow all will change—
snow and ice are on their way.”
“It’s true what he is saying,”
a nearby cardinal said.
“Birds know when cold is coming
and we are filled with dread.
So can you give us
more sunflower seeds
and maybe some day-old bread?
You see, we are sad.
That thoughtless sparrow
with the striped head
ate the last good food we had!”
Oh! Guilty sparrow
caught with a tasty mouthful,
unable to speak! ~ ms
© Mary Strong-Spaid and Before I Forget/Stories with No Books, 2012-2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Mary Strong-Spaid and Before I Forget/ Stories with No Books with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
NO REBLOGGING WITHOUT PERMISSION.
- Monarch Butterfly Stops in San Antonio Mid-November
- Entomology Summer Camp Hands-On Experience
- Siamese Cat Shelter-in-Place Guidelines
- Covid-19 Life in a Darkening World
- Strong Civil War Connection to Fredericksburg
- The Little Eyes of Texas
- Good Friends and Auld Lang Syne
- Pulte New Home Nightmare
- Labrador Retriever Riding in Style
- Foster Kitten’s Grateful Prayer
- On the Path of Wind and Water
- Christmas Cat on Night Patrol
- Marine Corps Reserve ‘Toys for Tots’ Christmas Magic
- Butterfly Love on a Leaf
- Hot Texas Summer Sun
- One Pink Wildflower
- Cat Warmth and Wisdom
- Autumn Pampas Grass Magic
- 72,994 hits
Top Posts & Pages