The loudest goose yelled—
I thought we were flying south
where no lakes are filled
with icy cold water.
This is not acceptable!
I’m not getting in.
The lead goose replied sternly—
You must remember
we are geese from Canada.
This is Virginia
which is quite obviously
south of Canada.
Close your eyes, dive in
and stop your honking complaints!
It won’t be that bad
after you get used to it.
The water is warmer here.
After the scolding,
all of the geese jumped in
without another word
and they swam quietly until
the same complaining goose said—
Wait, this can’t be right.
I’m in a honking panic!
What if my legs freeze?
What if I can’t feel my feet?
I won’t be able to swim
and I might drift away
never to be found again
it will be all your fault
for bringing me here!
The lead goose remained quiet.
It seems in each group
there is always one or more
with ruffled feathers
and a honking attitude! ~ms
© Mary Strong-Spaid and Before I Forget/Stories with No Books, 2012-2022. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Mary Strong-Spaid and Before I Forget/ Stories with No Books with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. NO REBLOGGING WITHOUT PERMISSION.
- Cardinals at the Dog Water Bowl Bird Bath
- Thoughts of a Natural Born Tree-Hugger
- Rising from the Dead in Spring
- Cat Clinging to the Edge of Normal
- Christmas Lion 2020
- Monarch Butterfly Stops in San Antonio Mid-November
- Entomology Summer Camp Hands-On Experience
- Siamese Cat Shelter-in-Place Guidelines
- Covid-19 Life in a Darkening World
- Strong Civil War Connection to Fredericksburg
- The Little Eyes of Texas
- Good Friends and Auld Lang Syne
- Pulte New Home Nightmare
- Labrador Retriever Riding in Style
- Foster Kitten’s Grateful Prayer
- On the Path of Wind and Water
- Christmas Cat on Night Patrol
- Marine Corps Reserve ‘Toys for Tots’ Christmas Magic
- 80,142 hits
Top Posts & Pages